By Meagan Pollock, PhD, Director of Professional Development, NAPE
At NAPE, we believe every person is able to fulfill his or her potential through equal access to and equity in educational options that lead to the entire spectrum of career choices. Our sole mission is to build educators’ capacity to implement effective solutions for increasing student access, educational equity, and workforce diversity. We work with secondary schools and community colleges to increase the participation of underrepresented groups in pathways and programs that lead to high-tech, high-demand, high-wage jobs.
NAPE CEO Mimi Lufkin: “The persistent underrepresentation of women and girls in the majority of STEM disciplines remains a critical issue of our time. Although there is no silver bullet, we are able to address the known root causes with specific strategies that will shift the participation of underrepresented groups in high-demand, high-tech, high-wage jobs. Because the research clearly shows that role models matter and mentoring works, NAPE is proud to partner with the Million Women Mentors campaign as we continue to strive for access, equity, and diversity in 2015.”
Here’s how NAPE contributes to increasing the participation of women and girls in STEM and advocates for STEM role models and mentors along the way:
- Micromessaging to Reach and Teach Every Student™ is a high-quality, research-based, educator professional development program to address gender- and culturally based implicit biases that occur in the classroom and that are manifested through “micromessages.” Through this professional development, we teach the importance of role models and mentors to build student STEM self-efficacy. In our past fiscal year, we delivered the Micromessaging curriculum to 950 educators in 12 states.
- Program Improvement Process for Equity™ guides state and local efforts to improve access, equity, and diversity in nontraditional occupations and STEM fields. Through a five-step process, PIPE engages teams of administrators, teachers, and counselors in conducting a data-based gap analysis of student performance, participation, and pipeline, identifying root causes for the gaps, and developing an action plan based on research-based strategies proven to close the identified gaps, where one root cause and strategy is lack of and need for role models and mentors. In our past fiscal year, we trained 430 educators in 9 states to effect institutional change through PIPE.
- STEM for Every Student workshops present an overview of STEM careers, introduce positive messages for talking with students and parents, and connect the messaging with tools, activities, and resources. Through these workshops, we often bring in a panel of STEM professionals to share their stories, we encourage participants to provide opportunities for students to role models and mentors, and we help schools and colleges connect to local and national networks of STEM volunteers. In our past fiscal year, we conducted STEM Career workshops for 180 educators and counselors.
- STEM Career Toolkit is a research-based guide for counselors and educators on how to encourage every student to consider a future career in STEM. The toolkit provides an overview of STEM careers, introduces positive language for talking with students, and connects the effective messaging with practical take-away tools, activities, and resources. One strategy in the toolkit is finding diverse STEM role models for students. In our past fiscal year, we presented on the STEM Career Toolkit at two national conferences and distributed 456 STEM Career Toolkits in 23 states.
- Professional Development Institute (PDI) is an annual national conference focused on access, equity, and diversity in education and the workforce. The PDI brings together researchers, practitioners, and professionals to share best practices in equity, build partnerships, and advocate for equity in education and workforce policy. Join us April 21-23, 2015, at the Westin in Alexandria, VA.
- STEM Equity for Role Models is a 30-minute training video designed to equip STEM professionals to speak to students. This tool provides the most appropriate and effective STEM messaging for students and prepares role models to share their STEM story so that they can inspire the next generation of STEM innovators and world-changers.
If you would like to learn more about NAPE, including our professional development offerings, technical assistance and equity consulting services, annual conference, or our products, then contact us for more information.